CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) – Charleston County School District is finishing fourth in its list of capital programs with major additions to James Island Charter High School.
The $ 24.9 million project to add a career and technology education building and a new gymnasium is technically complete, but the school is still waiting for a final inspection before the project is completed. All in all, this is a 58,132-square-foot project that began in September 2020.
Jasmine Shaw, executive director of the Capital Program, said the CTE building would give the school a place to learn hands-on skills such as cooking and construction.
“Also, there is a health clinic as well as part of the CTE There is a complete health department here with everything related to bed and health, ”said Shaw.
With the end of the fourth phase, the district has already started going to the fifth phase. Malcolm C. Several projects are already underway, including the replacement of Hersey Montessori School, the construction of new middle schools in West Ashley and Ladson, and a 65,000-square-foot support building for Early College High School.
The Hershey project is expected to be completed by August 2023 at a cost of $ 54 million. West Ashley Middle School ends in July 2024 and will cost 41 million. The cost of the Ladson Middle School project is estimated at $ 54 million while support for ECHS is expected to cost $ 36 million. Both are scheduled to be completed in December 2024.
Shaw said there is nothing like opening a new school.
“It’s exciting,” Shaw says. “It’s really gratifying to see the smiles on their faces that we’re going to get something that’s going to be very beneficial for the students.”
Shaw says they have already begun planning for future projects in the fifth phase. These projects include:
- Thomas Cario Middle School Expansion (Phase 5, Wave 3)
- James B. Edwards Elementary School (Phase 5, Wave 3)
- D3 Center for Primary Education and Family Development (Phase 5, Wave 2)
- James Island Charter High Stadium Renovation (Phase 5, Wave 3)
- Lamb’s Elementary School and Center for Primary Education and Family Development (Phase 5, Wave 2)
- Morningside Middle School (Phase 5, Wave 2)
- Deer Park Middle School Expansion (Phase 5, Wave 2)
- AC Corcoran Primary School Annes (Phase 5, Wave 2)
- Arabic Stall High School Expansion (Phase 5, Wave 3)
- Renovation of St. John’s High School Stadium (Phase 5, Wave 2)
- New or Expand D10 Middle School Facility (Phase 5, Wave 2)
- Increase D23 initial power (phase 5, wave 3)
All projects of the fifth phase are expected to be completed by 2028.
Copyright 2022 WCSC. All rights reserved.